Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Motivating Forces

Last week in class we talked about what really motivates us. Sometimes we talk about fear, hope, rewards (MONEY!, anyone?), titles and recognition, etc. as being great motivators.

The genius of the discussion was when we talked about how we motivate others. But I realize the real motivation must come from inside. Self-motivate people are, after all, the easiest ones to lead. You just share the vision and they get to work.

Perhaps you’ve heard of Maslow. He established the commonly-studied hierarchy of human needs.



We first need to meet our physical needs, then establish safety, then our social needs (belonging), then ego/esteem needs (self-respect, accomplishment) and self-actualization (explain what this is).

But what I never realized was how this directly applies to (and was created to explain) motivation factors.

We are most motivated by the needs that are NOT being met.

For example: Have you ever noticed the lengths impoverished people go to get food? Digging in the garbage can, disease or danger mean almost nothing to them. Safety definitely does not come first.

Or, say you take a poor, newlywed college-student couple and offer the Mr. or Mrs. two jobs: one offers great environment and great people, the other pays $50/hr (pays rent and buys food). Which one do you think they might choose? (Which is the need the least met?)

They’d probably choose the money for food.

But if you take a middle-aged man who has a family, a nice house, enough money in his reserve bank, what will motivate him? More money? Or safety? Or would it be more along the lines of an opportunity to accomplish something great and work with awesome people? He probably isn't as motivated by the money or safety (which are already established) as he would be the opportunity to achieve something great.

Are you catching my drift?

Maslow taught that human beings are motivated most by the needs that are not being met.

What are some of the things that motivate you? Does this same trend hold true for you?

3 comments:

  1. Very true, motivation has to come from within and no one can make you motivation or feel motivated. People are going to do whatever it is that makes them feel the most fulfilled even if it means that they are risking their lives for someone or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was really interesting also. I never thought of my unmet needs being a motivator. I know that when I motivate myself I feel a sense of accomplishment and the feeling of reaching my goals. Personal motivation can me great for some people and can be bad if for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I never thought of it that way. I've heard the whole Maslow theories and seen the hierarchy of needs but I love the examples of people you listed. You gave a snapshot of a person in need. Everyone has different needs and those needs motivate us. For sure, I wouldn't be motivated by the money or safety. I'm lucky enough to be a little further on the pyramid. I'm sure the need for love or esteem is what motivates me.

    ReplyDelete