Saturday, October 3, 2009

Inevitable Change

It seems that CHANGE is occupying my thoughts a lot, lately. But here is a nice chart that explains one of the ways we change in our life.

We start (X) sometimes learning a new skill. It's not the best technique, and we don't do it well, but nevertheless, we begin. Maybe we can compare it to learning how to play the piano. We get pretty good at it eventually (moving into the next quadrant). And then someone comes along to tell us our form/technique/whatever is not correct. So, we try to learn the correct technique. And, well, you just can't play the right way as well as you could the wrong way. Right?

However, we eventually make it to playing well and correctly. Mozart would be proud.

The same thing could apply to using a PC at first to using a MAC second (though I don't dispute that one is better than the other). You work your way up to being pretty good at using your PC, and then you get a MAC and have no idea how the little box is supposed to work. But you learn and grow and become MAC proficient.

It's all about moving from one level of comfort to the next level of discomfort--in order to grow.

Change is all about being stretched and rolled out. Seriously, sugar cookies taste much better when they're rolled out. And to get it right, you're going to have to roll it up in a ball and then flatten the dough again.

And bread always tasted better after being smooshed and punched so the gasses could make it grow from the inside. That's the way it's supposed to be.

But if we stay in our little square of comfort, we'll never advance to the next and, quite frankly, we'll be stuck there for a long time, missing out on some of the good and new adventures in life, right? You've got to go outside the comfort zone and experience change. Change makes us better. It's the same way in an organization, too (which is my sneak peak at my next post, by the way).

So how have you been forced to change (or stretched, or rolled out or scribbled like a pen*)? And how did you see yourself grow?

Or did you think you were chocolate chip cookie dough (that only has to be plopped on the cooking sheet) only to find out you were supposed to be the bread that started a feast?

And in what ways did the Lord use you to further His work? Or was it just to help you learn and grow, to prepare you for something great in the years to come?

Let me know how you've been molded and shaped and changed by the Lord into the new creature He wants you to be.


* The pen is another sneak peak at a future post on doing the Lord's will. It might find itself in the post on the change that must take place in our hearts.

4 comments:

  1. I don't mean to consistantly post comments, but I really enjoy reading them, you're style of writing just captivates the reader, causing them to thirst for more, at least it is for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed just by coming out to college and now almost graduating how much my life has changed. I was very comfortable being at home and in my comfort zone with all my friends. Coming out to a place I had no clue about all by myself was a huge change. It was good and right though and has changed my life forever. There are steps to changing and each year of college was the next step. Each year I learned more, matured, had many different experiences, and figured out what I want to do with my life. Change is essential to move forward in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that you write eloquently.
    Anyway- Steven Covey in "Inner Victory" said that no one can grow in their comfort zone-this little diagram shows that. I am taking Juvenile Delinquency and one of the corrective program I am reading about talks about how the kids need a structured situation, but still need to be able to deal with stress because that is where they grow. The area of fear of the unknown makes us pull things out of ourselves that we don't know exist. I think this is part of why recreation is so beneficial to so many. It gives them what they didn't know they have-from within themselves. They see that they are strong and grow stronger.
    This summer I spent 2 weeks in Chicago putting on a summer camp for inner city girls. It was a bit of a bold move for me. I learned so much! At the end of the camp me and my leader talked about this. She told me about how she saw me change from beginning to end. She said that now I am strong. I know this now and am more willing to put myself in scary-growing situations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reiterate what Catherine said. Change is inevitable. Each day promises is and it is the only thing that is constant. When we talked about President Clark shaking things up I remembered how much each semester changed. The semesters changed in length and the same amount of information was learned in less time. Exams were held in the testing center, and then only in classes and then back again. I have felt like a yo-yo sometimes. Even in some of the leadership trainings he wanted to take the emphasis away from being a LEADER and more of a facilitator. I was really frustrated with all the change but have seen the benefit in the long run. Change is good, it keeps us on our feet. P.S. my blog is orgcommclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete